I have read a fair number of enjoyable books on running and am happy to recommend these few for your enjoyment and edification.
1. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall – I’ve only read this about 40 times. Call it a running bible. Pay attention to Chapter 25 and let me know what you think.
2. Run to Overcome by Meb Keflegzighi – Inspiring read from the only American to medal in the Olympics, and win the New York Marathon and the Boston Marathon.
3. Marathon Man by Bill Rodgers – Great read from a running legend.
4. Run! by Dean Karnazes – 26.2 short stories from this amazing runner’s life.
5. Eat and Run by Scott Jurek – Learn about ultrarunning and discover some terrific recipes from this legend.
6. A Few Degrees from Hell by Scott Ludwig – If you have never heard of Badwater, then read this book to find out what motivates the extreme ultrarunner.
Bonus Movie Recommendation
Run for Your Life – The history the New York Marathon (in it’s present form) and road running in New York City all in 96 minutes. I usually watch this the night before a big race for inspiration.